Los Angeles News
Westwood protest draws big LAPD presence
WESTWOOD VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A small group of demonstrators gathered in Westwood Thursday to protest the not guilty verdict in George Zimmerman's trial for the killing of Trayvon Martin.
Dozens of officers patrolled the area on motorcycles, in squad cars and on foot. The massive LAPD presence in Westwood Village was in response to rumors on social media that so-called flash mobs might engage in criminal behavior in the area.
At least one person taking part in the event was captured on home video being taken into custody.
Westwood's safety ambassadors notified business owners after receiving the police alert about the potential mobs. Some businesses closed their doors early Thursday.
"I understand that people are angry about the trial, but I don't understand responding to that with a mob scene," said Tamar Schaap, an employee at Rocket Fizz.
In Long Beach, police say over 100 people participated a in a bash mob on July 9 in the city's Pike area. Patrols are being beefed up in preparation for another possible disturbance on Friday.
"They run into the Pike area and just do property damage. They steal from businesses, and in some cases, they were able to attack innocent people," said Sgt. Aaron Eaton with the Long Beach Police Department.
There have been other flash mob crime sprees across Southern California in recent days. On Thursday, San Bernardino police made some arrests after a group of young people attacked pedestrians and vehicles. On Wednesday, some juveniles in Victorville were arrested for unlawful assembly.
On Tuesday night, several teenagers and young adults went on a rampage in Hollywood, robbing businesses and people on the streets.
court case, legal, protest, los angeles news, amy powell
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2