Los Angeles News
Long Beach great-grandmother's 2009 murder remains unsolved
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities returned to a Long Beach neighborhood Tuesday to try to figure out who murdered an elderly woman.
It has been four years since 76-year-old Leam Sovanasy -- a mother of seven, grandmother of 20 and great-grandmother of six -- was brutally stabbed to death in her home. Her family's pain hasn't eased.
"It's just so sad when her grandkids are asking, 'How come I don't have a grandmother like other people. Everybody else has a grandma,'" said Samantha Sovanasy, one of the victim's daughters. "It just shocks me and makes me so sad and so mad at the same time."
According to Long Beach police, family members returned home on Jan. 31, 2009, and realized their house on the 1400 block of Peterson Avenue had been burglarized. They found Leam Sovanasy's body inside.
Detectives believe there were two suspects involved in the crime, and they say this was a burglary that turned into a murder. Investigators believe one of the suspects may have been driving a white, early 1990s four-door Chevrolet Caprice. They say the car has been seen frequently in the area and that it's possible the suspects live nearby.
Police and Sovanasy's family are asking for the public's help in solving the murder.
"We lost that one person in our life that we love so much," said Valerie Sovanasy, one of the victim's daughters. "So I just want to ask for the public's help. Help us. If you know anything, please come forward."
Anyone with information on this case was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
murder, long beach, los angeles news, amy powell
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book