Los Angeles News
Koreatown hit-and-run dashcam video released; wife speaks out
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The wife of a hit-and-run crash victim is speaking out, just as police revealed new dashcam video of the Koreatown collision.
Investigators hope the video will help find the driver behind the deadly hit-and-run crash that killed 90-year-old Joo Yoon.
Police say Yoon was riding his bicycle on a marked crosswalk and ran a red light in the intersection of 6th Street and Virgil Avenue in the early morning hours of April 27 when he was struck by a car and killed.
Yoon's wife said her husband was on his way to church at the time of the crash. Through an interpreter, she said she feels like she's living in a dream, and that she still keeps her light on in the evening - just in case her husband comes home.
The two were married in 2008 and lived in a low-income retirement apartment complex near Koreatown. Yoon was known as an active 90-year-old. He was involved in his church and even started several neighborhood badminton clubs.
Authorities recently released dashcam footage that shows details of the crash. The video shows Yoon riding across the street, when a dark colored Nissan comes barreling through the intersection, striking him. The dashcam video is from a Porsche, which was in the next lane.
The suspect did not stop, but several witnesses in the area tried to help Yoon. He was taken to an area hospital, where he died a short time later.
Police say the suspect was driving a dark gray or gun-metal Nissan GT-R with a 3-inch white racing stripe from the front fender to the tail light. The vehicle likely has damage to the front bumper and the hood.
Authorities are also looking for a second car that stopped at the scene of the crash and took off. That car was described as a newer model, dark colored Audi. The suspect is described as an Asian male, about 25 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighing between 180 and 190 pounds.
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to contact the Los Angeles Police Department's West Traffic Division at (213) 473-0222.
koreatown, hit and run, car crash, caught on tape, lapd, los angeles news, subha ravindhran
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 54 min ago
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake 18 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor 38 min ago
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)