Los Angeles News
101 Freeway crash in Encino: Driver of stalled car hit, killed
ENCINO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was struck and killed by an oncoming car on the westbound 101 Freeway in Encino Sunday morning, officials said.
The victim, identified as 24-year-old Alfredo Alvara, died at the scene.
The crash happened just east of Balboa Boulevard around 4 a.m. The California Highway Patrol says Alvara's Toyota Scion was stalled in the slow lane after he was rear-ended. Alvara got out and was hit and killed by the driver of a Toyota 4Runner.
Alvara's passengers, 30-year-old Erica Monge of San Bernadino and 23-year-old Teresa Oporto of Fontana were both hospitalized in critical condition. Their conditions have since been upgraded to stable and they are expected to recover from their injuries.
A passenger in the 4Runner suffered minor injuries.
Authorities say the driver of the 4Runner, 30-year-old Robert Graves of Reseda, was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. The CHP says he faces DUI and manslaughter charges.
Alvara was the youngest child in his family. Members of Alvara's close-knit family say he was getting ready to attend school at Cal State San Bernadino. The family says his father also died in a car crash 10 years ago.
His sisters describe Alvara as athletic, hardworking and outgoing.
"My heart just breaks knowing that he will no longer come here to this house, or I will no longer hear him," said his sister, Elizabeth Alvara.
accident, dui, freeway, los angeles news, amy powell
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors