Los Angeles News
101 Freeway crash in Encino: Driver of stalled car hit, killed
ENCINO, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was struck and killed by an oncoming car on the westbound 101 Freeway in Encino Sunday morning, officials said.
The victim, identified as 24-year-old Alfredo Alvara, died at the scene.
The crash happened just east of Balboa Boulevard around 4 a.m. The California Highway Patrol says Alvara's Toyota Scion was stalled in the slow lane after he was rear-ended. Alvara got out and was hit and killed by the driver of a Toyota 4Runner.
Alvara's passengers, 30-year-old Erica Monge of San Bernadino and 23-year-old Teresa Oporto of Fontana were both hospitalized in critical condition. Their conditions have since been upgraded to stable and they are expected to recover from their injuries.
A passenger in the 4Runner suffered minor injuries.
Authorities say the driver of the 4Runner, 30-year-old Robert Graves of Reseda, was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. The CHP says he faces DUI and manslaughter charges.
Alvara was the youngest child in his family. Members of Alvara's close-knit family say he was getting ready to attend school at Cal State San Bernadino. The family says his father also died in a car crash 10 years ago.
His sisters describe Alvara as athletic, hardworking and outgoing.
"My heart just breaks knowing that he will no longer come here to this house, or I will no longer hear him," said his sister, Elizabeth Alvara.
accident, dui, freeway, los angeles news, amy powell
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)