Los Angeles News
Palmdale kidnap attempt: Convicted rapist tries to snatch teen
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- A convicted rapist tried to snatch a teenage girl off a street in Palmdale Friday morning. Authorities said she was able to escape.
Investigators said Richard Stine, 39, who is on active parole for forcible rape and has an ankle monitor, kidnapped the 17-year-old as she was walking near the corner of 30th Street East and Palmdale Boulevard around 8:10 a.m.
According to detectives, Stine approached the girl from behind, pushed an object into her back and threatened her. He allegedly told her to keep walking or else he would shoot her. The victim tried waving her arms to get the attention of people walking by.
The suspect forced the girl to cross a street and go behind a church, out of view of the public.
A concerned witness noticed that the victim was in distress and called authorities. When deputies got to the scene, the victim managed to break free from the suspect and run toward the deputies. She was not injured.
Stine surrendered at the scene. He was taken into custody and booked on charges of kidnapping with the intent to rape. His bail was set at $100,000. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.
los angeles news, amy powell
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks 18 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role