Los Angeles News
Sherman Oaks hit-and-run crash: Man killed, driver sought
SHERMAN OAKS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Van Nuys man who was struck in a hit-and-run in Sherman Oaks on Sunday has died. Police continue to search for the driver.
The crash happened on Ventura Boulevard just west of Kester Avenue around 1:45 a.m. Sunday.
Los Angeles police said the 22-year-old victim was about to get into his car at the valet stop in front of Vibe Cafe when he was run down. Investigators said the parking valet was opening the door of the victim's Ford Focus when the suspect crashed into the car. The victim was struck, then thrown over his car and into the street.
The victim was rushed to UCLA Medical Center in critical condition with severe brain injuries. He later died, according to the LAPD Valley Traffic Division.
The valet was not hurt in the incident.
The suspect then hit the back of a parked vehicle in front of the Ford Focus and took off. The suspect vehicle is described as a newer model silver Hyundai sedan.
Authorities are asking for the public's help tracking down the suspect.
"We don't know what the circumstances are, but we want to find out," said LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph. "So the best thing for you to do if you're that driver is turn yourself in. If not, we will find a way to investigate and justice will come swiftly for you."
Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department at (877) 527-3247.
hit and run, lapd, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 3 min ago
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book