Los Angeles News
Man shot at by Torrance police in Chris Dorner hunt gets $20K
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- A man mistakenly shot at by Torrance police in the search for fugitive Chris Dorner is being compensated for damage to his vehicle. But the man's lawyer says this is the first step in a much bigger case.
David Perdue has received $20,000 from the city of Torrance to pay for his damaged truck. But Robert Sheahen, Perdue's attorney, says his client's life has changed dramatically since the incident, and he should receive millions.
Perdue's black pickup truck was riddled with bullet holes in February during the manhunt for Dorner, the former LAPD officer who went on a rampage that left four people dead. Sheahen says his client was injured when officers rammed his truck, pulled him out of the vehicle and held a gun to his head.
Sheahen says Perdue, a former baggage handler at Los Angeles International Airport, has not been able to work since the incident.
The $20,000 will help cover living expenses for himself, his wife and two children, but a lawsuit has been filed, seeking millions of dollars in compensation for Perdue's injuries.
"You've got all manner of damages. You've got damages from the impact, you've got the psychological damages from the shooting, and you've got nightmares, and he is unable to sleep, and he is unable to work, and he is unable to walk properly. It's just been a living hell for this family," said Sheahen.
Two women who were delivering newspapers were shot by LAPD during the manhunt. They were paid $4.2 million by the city of Los Angeles.Sheahen believes Perdue deserves similar compensation, and Sheahen hopes to continue negotiations with the city of Torrance.
Eyewitness News reached out to the Torrance Police Department. They had no comment on this case.
chris dorner, los angeles news, amy powell
- Man allegedly shoots, kills sister, wife 54 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend 36 min ago
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients 2 min ago
- House GOP signal support for budget deal 4 min ago
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms 19 min ago
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions