Los Angeles News
Fatal Littlerock dog mauling: preliminary hearing explores evidence
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- Emotions run high in the preliminary hearing of a Littlerock man accused of murder in connection to a fatal dog mauling. The testimony was so graphic at times the victim's husband left the courtroom.
A 63-year-old woman out for a walk in May was killed by a pack of dogs. Now the owner of those dogs is in court, as a judge decides if there is enough evidence to put him on trial for murder.
Several witnesses took the stand in the preliminary hearing in the dog-mauling case, in which six pit bulls attacked and killed Pamela Devitt in May.
Devitt was out walking in her Littlerock neighborhood when she was attacked by the dogs. The dogs were seized by animal control, and the dog's owner, 29-year-old Alex Jackson, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder.
Cheree Crisp took the witness stand Monday. She did not witness the fatal dog mauling but testified that prior to the attack she was attacked by the same pit bulls while on a horse in Littlerock.
"They were biting at her front feet, biting at her back feet; one jumped on the back of the saddle, and it caused her to throw me," Crisp said.
The victim's husband, Ben Devitt, was in the courtroom listening to witness testimony. At one point he walked out because the testimony was too overwhelming for him.
"We've been slowly, slowly getting over it and listening to that detail was way too much information, and it just got to the point I had to go, because it was just brining up bad, bad visions, bad mental visions," said Ben Devitt.
The preliminary hearing will determine if there's enough evidence to carry the case to trial.
animal news, homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 29 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
18 min ago