Los Angeles News
I-10 Fwy lanes closed in Pomona by multi-vehicle collision
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- A crash involving a tractor trailer on the 10 Freeway in Pomona left one person dead and at least nine injured Monday night.
The chain-reaction accident happened near Towne Avenue just after 8 p.m. At least one vehicle was fully engulfed in flames.
The California Highway Patrol said there were three cars that were initially involved in an accident. That accident was then followed by the crash that involved the big rig and four other vehicles.
"Cars were being hit left and right, and then we saw a truck coming at us. My kids were in the back of the car. The truck hit us and it hit another van. We saw the truck catch on fire. My wife just goes, 'Well get out of here, just keep driving and pull over,'" said driver Richard Arena.
Four drivers were critically injured. Two of them were airlifted to area hospitals. Five other people suffered moderate injuries.
"Some of the witness accounts were that a number of motorists that were driving by heroically got out of their own vehicles and assisted the other drivers out of their vehicles," said Capt. Roland Sprewell with the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Drivers reported hearing explosions. Firefighters said the sound was that of tires popping. The truck was loaded with 60 gallons of diesel and was hauling wood product.
Firefighters hosed down the contents of the truck to make sure the fire was completely out. The cause of crash remains under investigation.
The crash initially shut down all lanes of the freeway, but westbound lanes were quickly re-opened. Eastbound lanes were still closed as of 11 p.m. The closure begins at the Indian Hill exit. Officials said they hope to have the scene cleared before the morning commute.
accident, traffic delay, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 17 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 35 min ago
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000
- Gabor husband, daughter fight over spending 44 min ago
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film