Los Angeles News
Body engulfed in flames found in unincorporated Covina
COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- A body engulfed in flames was found on the side of the road in unincorporated Covina early Tuesday morning.
The body was discovered at East Covina Hills Road near East Via Verde Street at about 3:45 a.m. Authorities say an L.A. County sheriff's deputy and an LAPD officer were driving along Covina Hills Road when they noticed something burning. They both stopped, and the deputy was able to put out the flames.
Investigators believe the person was killed elsewhere, and then dumped at the location and set on fire.
Because of the condition of the body, officials say it will take some time to identify the victim and determine a cause of death.
"The body is badly burned, so right now, we can't tell if it's a man or a woman, a child or an adult," said Lt. John Corina of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
There are hills on both side of the area, and no homes face the location. Detectives are canvassing neighborhoods to find witnesses.
Covina Hills Road is closed between Via Verde Street and Holt Avenue due to the investigation.
Anyone with information is urged to call the L.A. County Sheriff's Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
body found, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 23 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 287 missing, 9 dead in SKorea ferry disaster
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught 48 min ago
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- Jenny McCarthy engaged to Donnie Wahlberg
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break