Los Angeles News
Sylmar babysitter's son arrested in child molest, pornography case
MISSION HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The adult son of a babysitter in Sylmar was charged with molesting children and taping it with the intention of posting the footage online.
Israel Sanchez, 47, was arrested and booked for molestation and annoying a child under 14 years old. His bail was set at $100,000.
The case began as a Homeland Security investigation related to suspected child pornography. Investigators served a search warrant on the apartment Sanchez shares with his mother and seized computers and cameras. Federal officials believed Sanchez was transmitting child pornography through the Internet, which is a federal crime.
Local police got involved when federal agents found evidence of at least two children being molested by Sanchez. According to Lt. Paul Vernon with LAPD's Mission Detective Division, the victims are believed to be children who Sanchez's mother was babysitting. Vernon said Sanchez's room was rigged with cameras to record the molestation for distribution online.
One of the victims is 18 months old and the other is 10 years old. LAPD Detective Nicole Kittle says authorities still need identify four other children seen in one of the videos.
"It's possible that there are additional victims, additional videos," said Kittle.
A family whose two young girls often stayed with Sanchez's mother declined to speak on camera, but said they can't believe the charges against their neighbors. Police asked them to have their daughters seen by a doctor.
Authorities say Sanchez is an alien resident, and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been notified. Sanchez has lived at the same apartment with his mother since 1995.
If you have any information about Sanchez, you're urged to contact Crimestoppers at (800) 222-TIPS. Sanchez is expected to appear in court sometime early next week.
sex crimes, arrest, san fernando valley, los angeles news, jovana lara
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 11 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 51 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures 8 min ago
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy' 57 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)