Los Angeles News
3 Westlake High School football players arrested for alleged assault
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Three Westlake High School football players have been arrested for allegedly assaulting a group of freshmen teammates during a trip to Hawaii.
According to Honolulu police, one of the suspects was facing a felony charge of sexual assault in the third degree, but the case has been declined for now. The status of the other two suspects was not immediately clear.
According to an ABC affiliate in Honolulu, the alleged incident took place Wednesday night at the Hyatt Place Waikiki. Parents told the station that about 25 seniors broke into a room occupied by five freshmen and assaulted them. The team was in Hawaii for six days for their season opening game.
Three players were arrested for assault, and all of them are minors. According to parents that spoke to the Honolulu station, another two students flew back home early, allegedly to try to avoid criminal charges. The parents also said the incident was more than just bullying or hazing, and that the suspects were arrested for assault.
One parent, who did not want to go on camera, told Eyewitness News that the incident was more of a fight between upperclassmen and a freshman quarterback, and at least one player received substantial injuries.
School officials say they are investigating what happened, and if and what the punishment should be for the alleged violent incident.
Jeff Davis with the Conejo Valley Unified School District addressed the issue in a statement:
"We were disappointed to learn of this incident. We are working with the WHS administration and coaching staff to determine just what occurred and to develop the appropriate actions in response," he said.
The team returned from Hawaii to Southern California Saturday night.
arrest, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 5 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 1 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)