Los Angeles News
Elderly pedestrian struck, killed by hit-and-run driver in Reseda
RESEDA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An elderly person walking in a crosswalk was struck and killed in Reseda Monday, as the driver fled from the scene.
Authorities responded to the intersection of White Oak Avenue and Valerio Street at 6:06 a.m. The pedestrian was declared dead at the scene.
The victim was crossing the street using a walker when the suspect's vehicle went around other vehicles and slammed into the victim, police said.
"After the impact, that pedestrian was launched across the intersection," said LAPD Det. Bill Bustos. "We know that the driver did not stop, continued to drive northbound at a high rate of speed."
Bustos said the vehicle is believed to be a black 2000-2006 Nissan 300ZX. The vehicle likely has damage to the front end as well as to the windshield.
The victim was identified as 83-year-old Asghar Abbassi. His family said he was a husband, a father to six kids, a grandfather and great-grandfather. He had not had a chance to meet his newest grandchild.
Police said this is the third hit-and-run fatality in the San Fernando Valley in the last week.
Anyone with information related to the case is urged to call the LAPD at (877) LAPD-24-7.
hit and run, homicide investigation, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)