Los Angeles News
Weapons stolen from CHP officer's personal car in Stevenson Ranch
STEVENSON RANCH, Calif. (KABC) -- Weapons have been stolen from law enforcement vehicles before, but this time, the target was a California Highway Patrol officer's own car.
Around 2 p.m. Monday, CHP officials say someone or several people broke into a CHP officer's personal car while it was parked in the parking lot of a strip mall in Stevenson Ranch. A CHP spokesperson says multiple weapons were stolen.
"He was away from his vehicle for simply 20 minutes and an individual or individuals that we still have yet to identify did break and enter into that vehicle and stole numerous tactical weapons, some equipment and personal items," said Sgt. Denise Joslin with the CHP.
CHP officials say the officer had just finished up training at a firing arrange when he parked his car at the strip mall for reasons they will not disclose. They say the officer's car was locked when he left it. However, they will not say how the car was broken into.
"With regard to the breaking and entering, again, those are considered some intricate details of the case that I am not able to provide," said Joslin.
CHP officials say with crime very low in the Stevenson Ranch area, it is shocking for someone to break into a vehicle in the busy strip mall in broad daylight. Authorities said they are looking into whether or not someone was tipped off about the weapons being inside the vehicle.
"It's certainly one of the things that we are looking at is what may have prompted this. Our officer had just in fact concluded range training. Whether or not this is something that someone had planned is all part of our investigation," said Joslin.
Without being specific, officials say with help from a tip, they recovered some of the items that were taken.
"Those items were located in the South Los Angeles area roughly around 120th Street and Central Avenue," said Joslin.
Anyone with information was asked to call the CHP at (323) 644-9550.
los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 6 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 40 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
45 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
33 min ago