Los Angeles News
Masked man tries to snatch girl from her bed in Tarzana - police
TARZANA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man wearing a mask tried to snatch a child from her bed in Tarzana, but the little girl fought back and the suspect ran off, police said.
"I found her on the balcony. She was just screaming, and I thought that she had a nightmare or something," said the girl's mother, who only wants to be identified as Eva.
Eva said she still can't believe her 6-year-old daughter was nearly kidnapped by a man who jumped over a concrete wall and broke into the family's first-floor apartment.
"She said that she came inside or was sleeping altogether and he grabbed her with a blanket, which I found on the balcony as well. He was trying to push her over the porch," said Eva. "She said that he had like goggles or a mask, something like that."
Police say the little girl's cries scared the brazen suspect away. A neighbor reported seeing a man fleeing from the apartment complex on Reseda Boulevard around 1:45 a.m. Monday.
Police say the suspect got in through an open patio door. The suspect is described as wearing a black and white mask, dark shirt, black and red pants and dark boots. The attempted kidnapping has residents in the complex on edge.
"We never have that in this building before. This is the first time. It's scary for everybody," said resident Louise Nordoff.
Eva says she has no idea who would want to take her daughter and believes the little girl was specifically targeted. She is grateful her daughter escaped.
"I think it's somebody who was watching us every time because she is beautiful, adorable," said Eva.
Anyone with information was asked to contact police at (877) LAPD-24-7.
kidnap, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 33 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
50 min ago