Los Angeles News
Woman struck, killed on 210 Freeway in Sylmar
SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A woman was struck and killed on the 210 Freeway in Sylmar, and police are calling the death highly suspicious.
The victim was struck near Hubbard Street, and the incident shut down the eastbound 210 Freeway between the 5 Freeway and Maclay Street. All lanes of the freeway were reopened shortly before 9:30 a.m.
Los Angeles police are trying to figure out if the woman jumped from the car she was in, or if she was pushed out.
According to a witness, the victim was a passenger in a red car that was swerving side to side in front of the witness' car. The witness said the passenger door of the red car opened, and the woman came out of the car and onto the lanes of the freeway.
The witness pulled over and tried to slow down traffic and render help, but the victim was struck several times by cars along the freeway and was killed. Authorities say the driver of the first car that struck her stopped, but other drivers may have been unaware that they struck the victim.
Many witnesses tried to help, and one even jumped a fence to get to the freeway. That witness said he heard the woman scream for help. He tried to divert traffic, but it was too late. Multiple cars ended up striking the victim, and the witness said she was moved about 20 feet down the road.
Police are conducting a death investigation, and are trying to answer many questions. Investigators are searching for the driver of the car the victim came out of. There were no other descriptions of the vehicle aside from the color.
The victim has not been identified. She was only described as being in her 30s with a tattoo of some sort of emblem and writing on her neck.
Anyone with information about the incident was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
san fernando valley, road closure, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis