Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles gang operation nets 35 arrests
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A law enforcement task force was on the move in South Los Angeles Thursday morning as part of "Operation Thumbs Down."
The officers were targeting members of the Rolling 30s Harlem Crips. Officials say this is one of the most violent gangs in South L.A.
More than 800 officers from federal and local agencies took part in the 18-month investigation, which resulted in 35 arrests. The alleged gang members now face a number of federal and state charges, including drug trafficking and money laundering.
Task force members also served 34 federal search warrants on various properties and seized a number of weapons along with narcotics.
Authorities held a news conference Thursday to outline why they went after these specific suspects.
"Among bloods and crips gangs, the Rolling 30s are among the more sophisticated. It's an inter-generational gang. They've got a subset of leaders, who are referred to as original gangsters, or OGs, who tend to call shots and organize subsets of crews," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Christopher Pelham.
Investigators say the alleged gang leaders were also engaged in illegal firearms trafficking and money laundering.
When asked about how much money this gang generated, federal authorities were not able to give an exact answer, but they believe this operation might be generating $1 million to $2 million a year, which is why they went after who they said were the people in charge.
arrest, gang activity, south los angeles, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 36 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed 59 min ago
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video 53 min ago
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants