Los Angeles News
Woman's body found in trunk of car in Hacienda Heights
HACIENDA HEIGHTS, Calif. (KABC) -- A death investigation is underway in Hacienda Heights after the body of a woman was found in the trunk of a car. Sheriff's deputies say they have detained a relative of the victim.
The car was in a garage of a home on the 15000 block of Las Tunas Drive. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department was called to the scene at about 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
The victim has only been identified as a 63-year-old Asian woman. Investigators say the discovery was made when concerned relatives showed up at the home and called 911, fearing a kidnapping was underway.
"The family conducted the welfare check. When they found certain evidence, they called the Industry station and reported the kidnapping in progress," said Det. Mike Rossen.
The driveway of the home in question was roped off in crime scene tape, and area roads surrounding the residence were blocked off.
Investigators were seen handcuffing a man and placing him in a patrol car around 1:30 p.m. Detectives wouldn't say who the man is, but did say they have detained a "person of interest" in the case.
Sheriff's officials later said the woman's 43-year-old son was detained on a possible parole violation, but was not officially named as a suspect in the murder.
Authorities have not released the woman's name, but neighbors say they have a good idea of who she is and thought something may have been wrong Wednesday night.
"At 2 a.m., the lights were still on all the way around the house, and that was suspicious because she usually turns them off at about 11. Everybody knows the system of what goes on around here, so when something strange like that happens, you wonder," said neighbor Renny Garcia Cano.
The sheriff's department says this isn't the first time they've been called to this house.
"There's been calls from that location. It had to do with domestic issues, maybe some mental health issues," said Rossen.
If you have any information about this case, you're urged to contact Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
Correction: An earlier version of this story reported the victim's age as 66, and the son's age as 44.
body found, san gabriel valley, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot 1 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting 7 min ago
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- ABC7 Eyewitness News Live Video
39 min ago