Los Angeles News
Whittier fatal shooting investigation underway
WHITTIER, Calif. (KABC) -- A 45-year-old man was shot and killed in front of his home in an unincorporated area near Whittier. Police believe the motive for the shooting may be gang related.
The incident occurred in the 6100 block of Pioneer Boulevard around 10 p.m. Sunday.
Authorities said Arturo Roque was in the front yard of his residence with his wife and another couple when a white-colored sedan drove past his home and began shooting, striking him.
"He was dozing off like he was falling asleep, and I told him to stay awake," Borja, Roque's neighbor said, describing the last moments he spent with his good friend while trying to save his life. "When I ran out across the street, he was laying in his walkway."
Roque was transported to a local hospital with multiple gunshot wounds but succumbed to his injuries.
The others in the front yard were not injured.
Pioneer Boulevard was shut down from Holbrook Street to Whittier Boulevard following the fatal drive-by shooting. Shell casings and evidence markers littered the road. Bullet holes were scattered all over the property.
Although the victim is not a gang member, it is believed the shooting was gang related.
"He's a good man, he's always working around the neighborhood, always cutting trees and mowing lawns, really quiet from what I've seen," Frank Canales of Whittier said.
That makes this murder all the more difficult for Borja to comprehend.
"Innocent people who have nothing to do with this issue with gangs are the ones who suffer," said Borja. "If you guys can't solve your differences man to man or the old-fashioned way, that's just cowardly."
Anyone with information about this incident was urged to contact the Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
murder, homicide investigation, shooting, los angeles news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet 57 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres 6 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Tyler The Creator arrested at SXSW festival 25 min ago
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report