Los Angeles News
Hollywood stabbings, shooting: 1 killed, 5 injured
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An investigation is underway into two stabbings and a shooting in Hollywood Monday morning that left one person dead and five injured.
The first stabbing happened around 1 a.m. outside of Leila's Pizza and Deli near Hollywood Boulevard and McCadden Place. According to police, two men were outside of the restaurant when they were stabbed by a group of other men. The two victims, ages 31 and 22, received stab wounds to their necks and heads. They are expected to survive.
"There was an altercation between two male Hispanics and three to four male Hispanics," said Los Angeles police Lt. Ray Valois. "Some type of an argument ensued, and as a result, two of them got stabbed."
The suspects in the stabbing fled on foot. Police continue their search for them. Detectives are checking to see if surveillance cameras captured the incident.
At around the same time, a shooting occurred outside of a night club on Ivar Avenue and Yucca Street. Police say three men were shot outside of the night club.
"Apparently there was a group inside the club that got into some type of an argument and a fight. It spilled outside of the club. There were shots fired," said Valois.
The suspects -- a group of three to four men -- got away. The victims drove themselves to a local hospital.
Then, at about 6:30 a.m., a stabbing happened outside of the Best Western hotel on the 2000 block of Highland Avenue. Police have few details, but they say one person was stabbed, and they do say one person is in custody. The victim stabbed at the hotel, a man in his 20s, has died.
Monday morning's violence comes two months after a 23-year-old woman was fatally stabbed on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland. Police say Christine Calderon was killed by a homeless man after an argument.
Tourists say they are surprised to hear about the violence.
"I don't see this every day," said Brooke Malone. "It is a beautiful place, and there's a lot to offer here, but yeah it's quite strange.
The LAPD says overall, crime is down.
"These are just three isolated incidents that took place on Labor Day morning, so we'll continue to provide a great environment for people to come shop, for tourists to visit," said LAPD Capt. Cory Palka.
Anyone with information about any of these attacks is asked to call the LAPD's Hollywood Division at (213) 972-2971.
stabbing, shooting, homicide investigation, hollywood, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 17 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis