Los Angeles News
Volunteer artists beautify Lincoln Boulevard in Santa Monica
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- A team of artists volunteered to paint murals on businesses in an effort to beautify a four-block stretch of Lincoln Boulevard in Santa Monica.
Javier Casildo, owner of Bill Dunn Upholstery on Lincoln Boulevard, wanted grapes painted on his building and he's thrilled with the results.
"It makes Lincoln Boulevard a lot nicer, a lot brighter, a lot more friendly for people to come," said Casildo.
Next door, Newton Barnes, the owner of a bike shop, loves the birds that decorate the face of his business.
"I think it's been great. It has drawn a lot of attention," said Barnes. "When they put the murals up, people can see from all different parts of the street."
Some business owners along Lincoln Boulevard say they have seen more customers visit the area since the new murals were added. Barnes says he has seen a 10 or 15 percent increase.
Around a dozen artists are participating in the Beautify Lincoln campaign, which started about 10 months ago. So far, the artists have painted murals on 20 storefronts.
Artist Evan Meyer started the Beautify Lincoln campaign. Each artist is a volunteer. They do their work with the help of donations from the community.
"I'd like to take the lessons learned and bring it around the city and around the country, maybe around the world. It could be a 'beautify world' project," said Meyer.
The people we talked to seemed to like it.
"I think this certainly does make it a little bit more of an artistic town. If anything, it sort of blends in with the Venice artistic vibe and I hope they continue pushing it northward," said Andrew Laurich of Santa Monica.
santa monica, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 54 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- SEALS take oil tanker from Libyan rebels 3 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians