Los Angeles News
Palos Verdes Estates-Carson chase suspect tried to hit officers w/ car
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- Police officers opened fire on a chase suspect in Carson when she tried to strike authorities with her car on Thursday.
According to Torrance police, the pursuit began at around 1:35 a.m. when Palos Verdes police noticed the suspect driving recklessly, sparking a public safety concern.
The driver, described as a female in her 40s, didn't yield to officers. Instead, she led them on a chase into the city of Torrance, where Torrance police followed suit.
The suspect headed eastbound on Torrance Boulevard and came to a dead end. Investigators say she then put her car in reverse and tried to run over police officers and their patrol cars. That's when officers opened fire.
Police say the woman was not struck by gunfire. But instead of getting out of her car when the shooting stopped, she hit the gas pedal.
The suspect then rammed through several chain-linked fences and crashed into the Dominguez Channel.
Some area residents said they were startled out of their sleep.
"Sounded like about five gunshots, pretty rapid fire. I got up and looked out the window. Couple minutes later, sirens all over the place," described Clyde McDougal, a Carson resident.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be treated for injuries she suffered from the crash. She faces assault and felony evading charges. Investigators are still trying to figure out why she was evading police in the first place.
car chase, car crash, pursuit, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'