Los Angeles News
Palos Verdes Estates-Carson chase suspect tried to hit officers w/ car
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- Police officers opened fire on a chase suspect in Carson when she tried to strike authorities with her car on Thursday.
According to Torrance police, the pursuit began at around 1:35 a.m. when Palos Verdes police noticed the suspect driving recklessly, sparking a public safety concern.
The driver, described as a female in her 40s, didn't yield to officers. Instead, she led them on a chase into the city of Torrance, where Torrance police followed suit.
The suspect headed eastbound on Torrance Boulevard and came to a dead end. Investigators say she then put her car in reverse and tried to run over police officers and their patrol cars. That's when officers opened fire.
Police say the woman was not struck by gunfire. But instead of getting out of her car when the shooting stopped, she hit the gas pedal.
The suspect then rammed through several chain-linked fences and crashed into the Dominguez Channel.
Some area residents said they were startled out of their sleep.
"Sounded like about five gunshots, pretty rapid fire. I got up and looked out the window. Couple minutes later, sirens all over the place," described Clyde McDougal, a Carson resident.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be treated for injuries she suffered from the crash. She faces assault and felony evading charges. Investigators are still trying to figure out why she was evading police in the first place.
car chase, car crash, pursuit, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 25 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book