Los Angeles News
Palos Verdes Estates-Carson chase suspect tried to hit officers w/ car
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- Police officers opened fire on a chase suspect in Carson when she tried to strike authorities with her car on Thursday.
According to Torrance police, the pursuit began at around 1:35 a.m. when Palos Verdes police noticed the suspect driving recklessly, sparking a public safety concern.
The driver, described as a female in her 40s, didn't yield to officers. Instead, she led them on a chase into the city of Torrance, where Torrance police followed suit.
The suspect headed eastbound on Torrance Boulevard and came to a dead end. Investigators say she then put her car in reverse and tried to run over police officers and their patrol cars. That's when officers opened fire.
Police say the woman was not struck by gunfire. But instead of getting out of her car when the shooting stopped, she hit the gas pedal.
The suspect then rammed through several chain-linked fences and crashed into the Dominguez Channel.
Some area residents said they were startled out of their sleep.
"Sounded like about five gunshots, pretty rapid fire. I got up and looked out the window. Couple minutes later, sirens all over the place," described Clyde McDougal, a Carson resident.
The suspect was transported to an area hospital to be treated for injuries she suffered from the crash. She faces assault and felony evading charges. Investigators are still trying to figure out why she was evading police in the first place.
car chase, car crash, pursuit, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 34 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Man hugged, then grabbed butt of CSUN woman 2 min ago
- Torrance attempted burglary suspect sought 3 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- 2-year-old found with heroin in New Jersey 8 min ago
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons