Los Angeles News
Dodgers make dream come true for Whittier fan with Down's syndrome
WHITTIER, Calif. (KABC) -- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan from Whittier with Down's syndrome will soon have his dream come true.
He knows Vin Scully's famous line by heart, and Nick Ybarra is one of the legendary announcer's most devoted fans.
"He loves Vin Scully. He just listens to the radio, and sometimes when we want to go to the game, he'll say, 'No, I'll just stay home. I want to listen to the radio,'" said his sister, Bridget Ybarra.
In fact, Nick's love affair with the Dodgers goes back to childhood. The 27-year-old's bedroom is a tribute to his beloved team.
Bridget says her brother always dreamed of meeting Scully and throwing out a pitch at a game. So she came up with an idea.
Bridget called on her friend to make a video featuring Nick with the hope of making his dream come true.
When Eyewitness News heard about the story, we contacted the Dodgers. We were with the family when they got a surprise phone call from the team.
The Dodgers invited Nick and his family to a game on Friday, Sept. 13.
"He brings a lot of people pleasure, and he's going to have a day of pleasure himself," said Nick's mother, Carol Ybarra.
With only a week to go until his dream comes true, Nick is getting his pitching arm in shape.
los angeles dodgers, los angeles news, amy powell
- Covina shooting: Adult, 4-year-old girl hurt 38 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl 8 min ago
- Banksy's 'Flower Girl' auctioned off at $209K
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)