Los Angeles News
Palmdale brothers charged in shooting death of 7-year-old girl
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Two Antelope Valley brothers have been charged with the murder of a young girl who was shot at a Palmdale gas station earlier this week.
The charges were filed Friday just hours after Desirae Ybarra, 7, was pronounced dead at the hospital.
According to sheriff's deputies, Desirae was riding in a car with her mother and her mother's boyfriend in Palmdale, and the family stopped to get gas at a station off Pearblossom Highway and Fort Tejon Road Wednesday. The boyfriend got into an argument with three men at the gas station. He drove away but was followed by the three men.
Investigators say the suspects fired several shots at the family's car. Desirae was hit by a bullet. No one else was injured.
Deputies arrested three men they believed were responsible for the shooting: Palmdale resident Jesus Peralta, 22; Palmdale resident Carlos Peralta, 19; and Little Rock resident Eduardo Diaz, 20.
Both Peralta brothers were charged with one count each of premeditated murder and shooting at an occupied motor vehicle. The men additionally face three counts of attempted willful, deliberate and premeditated murder. The charges include gang and gun allegations.
Prosecutors declined to file charges against Diaz, citing insufficient evidence.
Arraignment for the brothers was postponed until Sept. 20. They both remained jailed in lieu of $8 million. If convicted, they face a maximum prison sentence of 185 years to life.
A makeshift memorial of flowers, candles, cards, toys and balloons continues to grow outside the little girl's home, as her neighborhood grieves along with her family.
antelope valley, shooting, fight, los angeles news, darsha philips
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Free admission offered to all national parks 33 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour