Los Angeles News
Local Boston Marathon bombing victim comes home to Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Local Boston Marathon bombing victim John Odom returned home on Friday to an eager group of friends and family.
Odom and his wife Karen arrived at Los Angeles International Airport in the afternoon, and then a welcome home party was held at a restaurant in El Segundo.
The Torrance businessman sustained severe leg injuries standing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, cheering on his daughter.
He has spent the past couple of months in outpatient treatment, re-learning to walk. Odom has made tremendous progress. On Friday, Odom walked off the plane and stepped foot on California soil for the first time since the bombing.
"Months ago, I never thought I would be up and walking," Odom said. "I've been able now to walk with a shorter brace and walk with a cane, so to be able to get off that plane and be back in California is just an unbelievable feeling."
His wife Karen has been by his side and has been his rock from the beginning.
"There were times when he didn't think he'd even get out of bed. But once he realized that he could get out of bed and he could walk, I knew the sky was the limit," she said. "I knew he would be able to do anything he set his mind to."
Three people were killed and more than 260 injured on April 15 when two bombs exploded near the marathon finish line. Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police several days later. His brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was captured alive following a massive manhunt.
bombing, los angeles news, david ono
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US 17 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame 7 min ago
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis