Los Angeles News
5-month-old baby dies in hot SUV in Carson
CARSON, Calif. (KABC) -- A 5-month-old baby died Monday after being left in a hot SUV at the family's home. Authorities say the baby's father mistakenly drove off in another car, leaving the child behind.
"Unless something very glaring comes out during the course of the investigation today, it seems to be just a very, very tragic incident," said Lt. Dave Coleman with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Investigators say the baby's father, who had left the house, called authorities to the home on Cliveden Avenue in Carson just before 3 p.m. when he realized he had left his son in the hot SUV, still strapped in his car seat.
Responding deputies smashed the window to get the baby, but it was too late.
It's unclear how long the baby was in the SUV. Investigators say the couple has five or six children.
Friends say the father is a loving man who would never do anything to intentionally hurt any of his kids.
Detectives say it will be up to the district attorney to decide if the father will face any charges.
CORRECTION: The baby's age was initially reported as 4 months, but L.A. County Coroner's Office confirms the baby was 5 months old.
accident, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 33 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 57 min ago
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage 11 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- LA Lakers talk game on Christmas Day
14 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
26 min ago