Los Angeles News
City Terrace family speaks out in fatal deputy shooting
CITY TERRACE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was shot and killed during a confrontation with Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies in the City Terrace area early Tuesday morning. The man's family members say they want to know the truth behind the incident.
Deputies were responding to a domestic dispute call at about 1:30 a.m., when they were alerted to a separate incident. An area resident flagged the deputies down and told them about a man with a gun in the area.
Two deputies spotted the man walking down the street and confronted him. The confrontation turned physical, and authorities say at one point, the man pointed his gun at deputies.
That's when both deputies opened fire, shooting and killing the man. Detectives say the man tried to make a run for it, but collapsed at the intersection of Miller Avenue and Almanza Lane.
A four-block radius of City Terrace was shut down for hours as the investigation continued. Detectives say they recovered a gun.
Family members identified the suspect as 23-year-old Carlos Oliva.
Oliva's mother, Olga Sola, said detectives did not tell her about her son's death until seven hours after the shooting. She described her son as a humble boy and said she doesn't understand why police killed him. She said her son was not affiliated to any gangs and was a good kid.
Oliva's parents say their son did not own a gun and did not deserve to be killed.
"I want to know the breakdown, what really happened. I want to know the truth. They're not telling us anything," said Juan Delcid, Oliva's stepfather.
An internal investigation is underway to look into whether the shooting was justified. Oliva's parents say they plan to hire a private investigator in the case.
The shooting did not have any connection to the initial domestic dispute call. That dispute was cleared without incident.
shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, q mccray
- Malaysian: Investigators conclude flight hijacked 2 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity 21 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
22 min ago
- Callie's Cause: Paddle, run to fight epilepsy
43 min ago