Los Angeles News
LA County announces Dorner reward money recipients
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County will pay three people a total of $100,000 for information that helped track down fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner in February.
Tuesday, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors approved paying $100,000 in reward money to two of four parties who laid claim to the money.
Daniel McGowan reported Dorner's burning pickup truck on the side of a ski hill in the Big Bear Lakes area. He will receive $20,000.
Jim and Karen Reynolds were tied up in a Big Bear cabin by Dorner, who then stole their vehicle. They will receive $80,000.
Dorner, a former LAPD officer, fatally shot two civilians, a police officer and a sheriff's deputy, and injured another officer.
A three-judge panel, county lawyers and input from the sheriff's department determined the payout.
Several municipalities offered rewards totaling $1 million for information leading to the capture of Dorner. Some, including Riverside, withdrew their offers after Dorner was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a burning cabin in Angelus Oaks near Big Bear. The rescinded offers have prompted lawsuits.
McGowan provided the first solid evidence that Dorner was in the Big Bear area. He had abandoned his truck and set it afire.
Dorner held the Reynoldses at gunpoint, tied them up and stole their vehicle. They called police as soon as they broke free, and their description of the vehicle led to Dorner.
Others who staked a claim to the reward money, including Richard Heltebrake who was carjacked by Dorner, were determined to be ineligible for reward money, because police were in pursuit of Dorner by the time the new information was called in.
City News Service contributed to this report.
chris dorner, lapd, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 14 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- UCSB meningitis: Fund for amputee student
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi 55 min ago
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple
- Bynes leaves inpatient treatment, says lawyer
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: Benedict Cumberbatch recites R. Kelly lyrics