Los Angeles News
Thieves break into car of dad looking for missing son at Castaic Lake
CASTAIC LAKE, LOS ANGELES COUNTY (KABC) -- Two thieves broke into the car of a worried father searching for his teenage son, who has been missing for nearly two weeks in the Castaic Lake area.
It has been a difficult time for 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa's family. Then, on Tuesday afternoon, two men broke into his father's car parked near the search area. Officials said a 27-year-old man and an 18-year-old man were arrested.
"Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Parks Bureau deputies, along with Santa Clarita Valley sheriff's station deputies, ultimately took two suspects into custody after a short vehicle pursuit," said Deputy Joshua Dubin with the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.
Authorities say it appears to be a crime of opportunity and is not linked to Laspisa's disappearance.
"Although it occurred to the missing person's father, it has no connection to the missing person case, which is still an active investigation," said Dubin.
Laspisa was on his way home from Sierra College, north of Sacramento, to Laguna Niguel to visit his parents and never arrived home.
Divers took yet another plunge in Castaic Lake to look for Laspisa's body, while bloodhounds tried to pick up a scent. On Sept. 4, charred human remains were discovered near Lake Hughes Road, about two miles away from where Laspisa's overturned SUV was discovered.
Wednesday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. said the body was not Bryce Laspisa.
The body was identified as Lamondre Deon Miles, a 33-year-old South L.A. resident. Sheriff's investigators said Miles had multiple gunshot wounds to his upper torso, and was dead before he was brought to the Castaic area and set on fire.
Three suspects were arrested Wednesday and charged in Miles's death.
missing person, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 14 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Target photo flap creates thigh gap
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)