Los Angeles News
Long Beach party shooting: 2 killed, 2 injured
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Shots rang out in a Long Beach neighborhood, leaving two people dead and two others injured.
The shooting occurred in the 6500 block of Rose Avenue, just south of Artesia Boulevard shortly before 10 p.m. Friday.
A total of four people, two men and two women, were shot at a birthday party. The men, who were shot in the torso, were killed. They were later identified as Jerry Chim, 24, and Sophon Kao, 26. Both were from Long Beach.
The women, who were also shot in the torso, were transported to an area hospital. One woman underwent emergency surgery. Both were listed in serious but stable condition.
Long Beach police say the victims were with a group of friends celebrating a birthday, when the suspect walked up and shot them. Investigators say the suspect was not a guest at the party. No arrests have been made.
Area residents were startled at the police activity in their neighborhood.
"I was afraid because my son was home. So that was my first thought, is my son OK? I just couldn't believe it. I had to go around and park up the street and I was able to get into my garage before they blocked off the entire area," said Tataneisha Thames, a Long Beach resident.
"I've got kids that live with me, and so you're scared obviously," said Erica Reeder, a neighbor. "You don't know what the heck is going on. Do you come outside? Do you not? Wondering where it came from."
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
long beach, shooting, los angeles news, q mccray
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 46 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 39 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 30 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour 51 min ago