Los Angeles News
Long Beach party shooting: 2 killed, 2 injured
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Shots rang out in a Long Beach neighborhood, leaving two people dead and two others injured.
The shooting occurred in the 6500 block of Rose Avenue, just south of Artesia Boulevard shortly before 10 p.m. Friday.
A total of four people, two men and two women, were shot at a birthday party. The men, who were shot in the torso, were killed. They were later identified as Jerry Chim, 24, and Sophon Kao, 26. Both were from Long Beach.
The women, who were also shot in the torso, were transported to an area hospital. One woman underwent emergency surgery. Both were listed in serious but stable condition.
Long Beach police say the victims were with a group of friends celebrating a birthday, when the suspect walked up and shot them. Investigators say the suspect was not a guest at the party. No arrests have been made.
Area residents were startled at the police activity in their neighborhood.
"I was afraid because my son was home. So that was my first thought, is my son OK? I just couldn't believe it. I had to go around and park up the street and I was able to get into my garage before they blocked off the entire area," said Tataneisha Thames, a Long Beach resident.
"I've got kids that live with me, and so you're scared obviously," said Erica Reeder, a neighbor. "You don't know what the heck is going on. Do you come outside? Do you not? Wondering where it came from."
If you have any information about this incident, you're urged to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
long beach, shooting, los angeles news, q mccray
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 18 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis