Los Angeles News
Inglewood drive-by shooting kills woman, injures brother
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman is dead after a drive-by shooting in Inglewood Saturday afternoon. Her brother was also shot and transported to a hospital.
Inglewood police are now looking for suspects.
The deadly shooting happened at about 2:30 p.m. in the 10600 block of Crenshaw Boulevard.
Surrounded by loved ones, Yahne Porter sobbed as the coroner took her sister's body from the crime scene.
Porter says her sister Pia was outside with their brother to jump start Pea's car. According to police, two suspects drove up and the passenger started shooting. Porter heard the gunshots, called 911 and went outside.
"I was telling them that they shot my brother and killed my sister," said Porter.
Porter's brother was shot three times in the legs. He was hospitalized in stable condition.
Porter says her sister helped take care of her nephew and treated him like he was her own son. The 30-year-old was going to school and wanted to become a nurse.
"She was a cool person. She helped you out with everything. If you really needed something, she would try her best to give it to you. She loved her family," said Porter.
Family members, neighbors and even old classmates are heartbroken. The shooter fled the scene, but those who knew Pia hope he doesn't get away with murder.
"It's just pretty sad. She's a good friend, and everybody loved her," said Nicole McConnell, a friend. "For someone to do this, it's really devastating."
Police say the gunmen fired more than half a dozen shots before the suspects fled the scene. Detectives have been talking with witnesses who saw the vehicle fleeing southbound on Crenshaw Boulevard.
Anyone with information about this case was asked to contact Inglewood police at (310) 412-5240 or their 24-hour anonymous hotline at (888) 412-7463.
shooting, homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 37 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 13 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 55 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
35 min ago