Los Angeles News
3 fatal shootings in Compton within few hours
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Three fatal shootings took place in Compton within a span of a few hours overnight. Detectives say so far there are no apparent links between the murders.
The first shooting happened just after 9:00 p.m. Saturday. Investigators say the victim and his friend had just left a family gathering when someone shot into their car on the 14300 block of Corlett Avenue.
A 26-year-old man sitting in the passenger seat was struck by gunfire. He was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The driver was not hit and left the scene before deputies got there.
The second shooting happened on the 900 block of East Kay Street around 12:22 a.m. Detectives said one man died and another was injured. It's unknown if the shooting was gang-related.
"We know there was a large party at the location. Some kind of altercation ensued in front of the location and shots were fired," said Sgt. Michael Rodriguez with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Minutes after that shooting, a 32-year-old man sitting in his car was killed while waiting for a friend inside a liquor store on the 2800 block of West Alondra Boulevard. Witnesses said a gunman walked up to the car and shot at the victim. The suspect then ran across the parking lot and got into a dark-colored car that was seen fleeing north on McKinley Avenue.
Anyone with information about the shootings was asked to call Los Angeles Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous.
shooting, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 8 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 289 missing, 7 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 26 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 32 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Kansas Jewish center reopens after shooting 9 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break