Los Angeles News
Deputies shoot man, mistook cellphone for gun during foot chase
MID-CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was shot and injured after deputies mistook his cellphone for a handgun during a foot pursuit in the Mid-City area.
The incident happened shortly before 4 p.m. when two deputies came across a man they believed to be a felony suspect.
They opened fire after the man allegedly reached for his waistband and removed several objects, including drugs and a black object.
The suspect ran behind an apartment building and climbed over a wall. He was still holding the black object when deputies caught up with him, so they opened fire once again, this time hitting him.
The black object turned out to be a cellphone.
The man is expected to survive. The shooting is now under investigation.
mid-city, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead 21 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
2 min ago