Los Angeles News
Deputies shoot man, mistook cellphone for gun during foot chase
MID-CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was shot and injured after deputies mistook his cellphone for a handgun during a foot pursuit in the Mid-City area.
The incident happened shortly before 4 p.m. when two deputies came across a man they believed to be a felony suspect.
They opened fire after the man allegedly reached for his waistband and removed several objects, including drugs and a black object.
The suspect ran behind an apartment building and climbed over a wall. He was still holding the black object when deputies caught up with him, so they opened fire once again, this time hitting him.
The black object turned out to be a cellphone.
The man is expected to survive. The shooting is now under investigation.
mid-city, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles news
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 32 min ago
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks