Los Angeles News
Hollywood pedestrian killed in hit-and-run crash
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The search is on for a hit-and-run driver who struck and killed a woman in Hollywood early Friday morning. Investigators will be looking at surveillance video from nearby businesses, hoping it leads to that driver.
The incident happened near a bus stop in the 6700 block of Santa Monica Boulevard at about 3:30 a.m. The 22-year-old pedestrian died after being rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
The victim has been identified as Keymontae Mckenzie, a transgender woman. A longtime friend says she went by the name Unique.
"That was the first girl I met out here," said friend Andrew Scott. "The good die young."
The suspect's vehicle was described as a light-colored older model Ford Thunderbird.
L.A. City Councilman Joe Buscaino says there's been an alarming rash of hit-and-run crashes in the Los Angeles area. He proposes offering a standing reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of drivers who flee the scene of an accident. He believes the reward will encourage witnesses to speak up.
"It's time to send a clear signal," Buscaino said. "If you leave the scene of an accident, you are a coward. You are a criminal, and you will be treated as such."
L.A. officials are also encouraging state lawmakers to make the penalties for hit-and-runs on par with the penalties for DUI offenses.
If you have any information about the Hollywood hit-and-run, you're asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department's Hollywood Division at (213) 485-4302.
hollywood, hit and run, car crash, los angeles news, amy powell
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 19 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 36 min ago
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator 51 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion 2 min ago
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
29 min ago