Los Angeles News
Santa Monica plane crash: All 4 victims identified
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Coroner's Office has identified all four victims from the deadly jet crash at Santa Monica Airport.
Authorities confirmed that 53-year-old Kyla Dupont of San Diego and 28-year-old Lauren Winkler of Irvine died in the crash, along with 63-year-old Mark Benjamin, CEO and president of Morley Builders, and his son 28-year-old Luke Benjamin, a senior project engineer at the company.
Winkler worked for an organization called Save a Child's Heart, which provides free open-heart surgery in Israeli hospitals to children from Africa and the Middle East.
Before the victims were officially identified, Morley Builders said in a statement Tuesday that it is "heartbroken at the loss of Mark Benjamin and his son Lucas in a tragic accident."
"We are proud to be associated with the Company that Mark's family founded. He had a profound influence on each of our employees, the Southern California landscape, our local community, and the construction industry. We are committed to building on his legacy," the company said.
The private jet veered off the runway on Sunday, smashing into a hangar and causing a fiery crash.
The crash has raised more concerns about having an airport in the middle of a crowded residential area. When the airport was built in the 1920s, it was surrounded by farm land. The residential neighborhoods surrounding the airport sprouted up decades later.
A 30-year land and building agreement between the city of Santa Monica and the Federal Aviation Administration will expire in 2015.
fire, airport news, santa monica, plane crash, los angeles news
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 2 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 3 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 16 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'