Los Angeles News
Glendale K-9s in the Park event set for Saturday
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Glendale Police Department's K-9 unit relies entirely on donations. But it takes a lot to train and maintain the dogs, so they're having a big fundraiser on Saturday, and the department wants the public to come out and how see just what those dogs can do.
K-9 "Idol" and partner Officer Sholtis are one of three teams that include K-9s "Yudy" and "Bronco" that make up the unit.
The human officers say their K-9 partners give them a unique advantage out on the street.
"She has a skill that all these humans do not have, and that's her scenting ability," said Glendale Police K-9 Unit Officer Maribel Feeley. "She can tell me there's a bad guy a quarter-mile away before any of us even have an idea that somebody's hiding somewhere."
The Glendale K-9s in the Park 2013 event is on Saturday at Verdugo Park. Besides lots of family-friendly entertainment, there's a pet-costume contest, pet-adoption fair and lots of demonstrations.
animal news, san fernando valley, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 24 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 6 min ago
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role