Los Angeles News
Glendale K-9s in the Park event set for Saturday
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Glendale Police Department's K-9 unit relies entirely on donations. But it takes a lot to train and maintain the dogs, so they're having a big fundraiser on Saturday, and the department wants the public to come out and how see just what those dogs can do.
K-9 "Idol" and partner Officer Sholtis are one of three teams that include K-9s "Yudy" and "Bronco" that make up the unit.
The human officers say their K-9 partners give them a unique advantage out on the street.
"She has a skill that all these humans do not have, and that's her scenting ability," said Glendale Police K-9 Unit Officer Maribel Feeley. "She can tell me there's a bad guy a quarter-mile away before any of us even have an idea that somebody's hiding somewhere."
The Glendale K-9s in the Park 2013 event is on Saturday at Verdugo Park. Besides lots of family-friendly entertainment, there's a pet-costume contest, pet-adoption fair and lots of demonstrations.
animal news, san fernando valley, los angeles news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre