Los Angeles News
Downey student football player collapses at Lynwood High game
LYNWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A Downey High School football player collapsed during a game Thursday night at Lynwood High School and was rushed to a hospital.
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies say they responded to a call of a possible cardiac arrest.
Junior running back Dodi Soza was in intensive care at St. Francis Medical Center. He is expected to be moved to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center to see a specialist.
His family isn't releasing his official condition, but friends describe it as very serious. Fans watching the game were stunned.
"Everybody just stopped. They all got in a group and started crying and I guess praying," said witness Saul Limones.
Teammates joined Soza's family at the hospital. On Twitter, #PrayForDodi was trending Thursday night.
"He's very well known around the school. He's a great running back. He's a good friend," said teammate Mario Galvan.
Soza's teammates are urging classmates on Twitter to wear white to school Friday in Soza's honor.
Lynwood Unified Superintendent Paul Gothold released the following statement:
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Downey High School player that collapsed during the freshman football game against Lynwood High School this afternoon, and his family. Following his collapse our team followed emergency protocol and immediately called the appropriate authorities to respond."
school, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 37 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 17 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 39 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
1 min ago