Los Angeles News
Endeavour Fest sees glitch with government shutdown
EXPOSITION PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Endeavour Fest kicked off Friday at the California Science Center to commemorate nearly a year since the retired shuttle arrived at the museum. But thanks to the government shutdown, it's a grand celebration with a glitch.
Crowds swarmed the 122-foot shuttle as the free weekend event got underway. Many special events are planned, but organizers say they learned Tuesday that there was no hope of NASA participating as scheduled because of the stalemate in Washington.
"It's had an impact on this Endeavour Fest," said Jeff Rudolph, president of the California Science Center. "You would've seen a number of NASA exhibits and NASA staff here talking about current and future space programs and what they're doing. They planned to be here and planned to be part of the celebration, and with the shutdown, they can't be here."
As a backup plan, retired astronauts will be on-hand to talk about their experiences with shuttle missions, and a number of interactive exhibits will move forward.
Officials at the Science Center say they want to keep the momentum going. Since the shuttle traveled through the city last year, 2.7 million guests have visited the Science Center - an increase of 1 million people.
Endeavour Fest will also feature the debut "Three Nights, Three Days," a 20-minute documentary on the shuttle's journey through the streets of Southern California.
Endeavour Fest is open through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Reservations are recommended. For more information about Endeavour Fest, visit the event website.
space shuttle, los angeles news, miriam hernandez
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area 36 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 4 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 28 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping 31 min ago
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini