Los Angeles News
UC Berkeley Marching Band serenades quadriplegic alumna
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- On the eve of the big game between the University of California, Berkeley Bears and the University of California, Los Angeles Bruins, the Cal marching band took some time to serenade an ailing member of its alumni at a local hospital.
The Cal marching band knows how to inspire fans and players before a big game. But Friday, they marched into Long Beach Memorial Hospital to rally for one very special patient.
Annette Ramirez has been a quadriplegic rehabilitation patient at the hospital for the last five months. She became quadriplegic more than a year ago when she developed a severe infection after a surgical procedure.
Ramirez worked for the Cal Berkley Alumni Association for more than 20 years.
"The band has always been near and dear to my heart and I'm just thrilled that they took time out of their busy schedule when we're playing UCLA tomorrow to come here to the hospital and play for me," Ramirez said.
Over the years, Ramirez raised a lot of funds to support the Cal marching band. Friday was the band's chance to give something back to her.
Ramirez's two children served as special band leaders, and friends and former co-workers turned out to show their support along with members of her medical team.
"My therapists are very special to me because they're like cheerleaders in addition to just being the therapists that they are. They've been guiding me along, and I'm really moving forward," Ramirez said.
It was a day Ramirez and her family will cherish.
los angeles news, amy powell
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 15 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble 3 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Push to get more Covered California signups
50 min ago
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
49 min ago