Los Angeles News
Package thieves in Hollywood possibly used mail master key - cops
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A fashion designer's one of a kind merchandise, worth thousands of dollars, was stolen from the mailroom of his apartment complex, and it was all caught on camera.
Surveillance video shows a young man and woman walk up to the front door of an apartment complex on the 7200 block of Franklin Avenue in Hollywood.
They walk off with the package that had been left in the building's mailroom. But what makes this crime unusual is that it appears as though the culprits used a master key to enter the building and the mailroom -- a key that's only supposed to be used by letter carriers.
"These people are still at large. Until then, nobody's mail here is safe," said designer Adrian Field.
Field says he was away on a business trip when his package arrived. It sat in the mailroom for a week before it was stolen at about 1:30 a.m. Friday.
"These are one-of-a-kind pieces from my fall collection. Someone is now very well dressed around Hollywood in pieces that don't belong to them," said Field.
Field says the LAPD has been out to investigate, and he is hoping the surveillance video will help lead to an arrest.
"It's a big loss for me, and I'm extremely upset," said Field.
The loss of that package will definitely have an impact on Field's bottom line, but he says mailrooms throughout Hollywood could be at risk.
"It's an issue that someone has the mail master key and is going around, breaking into buildings, and is stealing mail and packages," said Field.
Other residents here are concerned that more of their mail will be stolen.
"It's not a great feeling to know that somebody can actually get into your personal belongings," said Estella Perez of Hollywood.
The LAPD says the theft of a master key is rare and it could present big problems. Mail theft is a federal crime, and if the culprits stole a master key, it could lead to more charges.
As for Field, he says he will take steps to protect his valuable deliveries in the future.
hollywood, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC 15 min ago
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 40 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2 14 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets 11 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper 12 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors
- Cool Kid fixes up batting cages for community
57 min ago