Los Angeles News
West Hollywood water-main break: Formosa Avenue closed until Friday
WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A water main burst near Santa Monica Blvd. and Formosa Ave. in West Hollywood Thursday afternoon, forcing the evacuation of two apartment complexes on Formosa. Part of the asphalt on Formosa buckled from the water damage.
The rupture occurred on the 1200 block of North Formosa Avenue at about 1:30 p.m.
Water flooded from Lexington Avenue to Santa Monica Boulevard. In total, five apartment buildings and five commercial buildings were affected by the water.
Formosa was closed between Fountain Ave. to Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles Department of Water and Power personnel arrived on scene. Water service in the area was shut off while the problem was addressed. At 9:30 p.m. about 60 customers remained without water.
The L.A. Fire Dept. requested temporary shelter for residents until the extent of damage was determined.
The cause of the break was not immediately known. The water main is reportedly more than 70 years old.
DWP officials said water service should be restored by 1 a.m.
Formosa is expected to remain closed from Fountain to Santa Monica until Friday.
department of water and power, west hollywood, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure 52 min ago
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill 5 min ago
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018 27 min ago
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)