Los Angeles News
Train slams into car in Montebello; Driver arrested for driving under influence
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- A freight train slammed into a car in Montebello Saturday, injuring one person. The driver of the vehicle was arrested for driving under the influence following the collision.
The eastbound Union Pacific freight train hit the car near Olympic and Montebello boulevards around 3:40 a.m.
Police say the vehicle had crashed into the center median just prior to the train accident, which spun the car onto the tracks.
Union Pacific spokesperson Aaron Hunt said the train could not stop in time.
"It typically takes one of our trains more than a mile to stop and in this case the train was unable to stop before hitting the vehicle," said Hunt.
The vehicle had three occupants. One of the passengers was taken to the hospital with a broken arm. A second passenger and the driver were uninjured. The driver, however, was arrested for suspicion of drunken driving following the collision.
The car was totaled and impounded.
The intersection was closed while officials investigated the cause of the crash.
train accident, los angeles news
- Charges expected against sheriff's officials 3 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in unrelated Pomona shootings 28 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis