Los Angeles News
Train slams into car in Montebello; Driver arrested for driving under influence
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- A freight train slammed into a car in Montebello Saturday, injuring one person. The driver of the vehicle was arrested for driving under the influence following the collision.
The eastbound Union Pacific freight train hit the car near Olympic and Montebello boulevards around 3:40 a.m.
Police say the vehicle had crashed into the center median just prior to the train accident, which spun the car onto the tracks.
Union Pacific spokesperson Aaron Hunt said the train could not stop in time.
"It typically takes one of our trains more than a mile to stop and in this case the train was unable to stop before hitting the vehicle," said Hunt.
The vehicle had three occupants. One of the passengers was taken to the hospital with a broken arm. A second passenger and the driver were uninjured. The driver, however, was arrested for suspicion of drunken driving following the collision.
The car was totaled and impounded.
The intersection was closed while officials investigated the cause of the crash.
train accident, los angeles news
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 49 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 21 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea 27 min ago
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Salt water treatment helps rare lung disease
39 min ago