Los Angeles News
Train slams into car in Montebello; Driver arrested for driving under influence
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- A freight train slammed into a car in Montebello Saturday, injuring one person. The driver of the vehicle was arrested for driving under the influence following the collision.
The eastbound Union Pacific freight train hit the car near Olympic and Montebello boulevards around 3:40 a.m.
Police say the vehicle had crashed into the center median just prior to the train accident, which spun the car onto the tracks.
Union Pacific spokesperson Aaron Hunt said the train could not stop in time.
"It typically takes one of our trains more than a mile to stop and in this case the train was unable to stop before hitting the vehicle," said Hunt.
The vehicle had three occupants. One of the passengers was taken to the hospital with a broken arm. A second passenger and the driver were uninjured. The driver, however, was arrested for suspicion of drunken driving following the collision.
The car was totaled and impounded.
The intersection was closed while officials investigated the cause of the crash.
train accident, los angeles news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions 40 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 59 min ago
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Alison Arngrim speaks about sex abuse
37 min ago