Los Angeles News
Burbank neighbors remember victim in wake of fatal house fire
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Burbank residents are still in disbelief over the death of one of their neighbors.
They say the woman, Irmhild Marcaccio, died in a house fire on the 900 block of North Evergreen Street Saturday.
Three people were inside the house at the time of the blaze. Two people managed to get out safely but the victim was trapped and killed. She was described as a beloved neighbor and loving mother.
"She was carried out," said neighbor Tessa Chandler. "I watched the look on her son's face."
The two other people who managed to escape the flames tried to rescue her, as well as other neighbors.
"We found two people trying to get back into the house, trying to retrieve a third person," said Deputy Fire Marshal George Martinez. "We got in there and found a third body and that person is deceased."
On Sunday, nothing but sadness was felt outside the burned house where the woman had lived for years.
Neighbor Michelle Lesser says she saw her Saturday. She called the victim in her 70s a good woman.
"As I said to someone last night, she went through hell and back and did it with a smile on her face," said Lesser.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. All neighbors know is that the victim was here one minute and gone the next.
"Never leave somebody without saying you love them, treasure every moment you have and take time with the older folk because they have great history and stories to tell you," said Lesser.
The woman is believed to be the mother of one of the two people who managed to escape the burning house. They were taken to a local hospital and treated for burns.
fire, burbank, los angeles news, q mccray
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero' 56 min ago
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour