Los Angeles News
Long Beach taxi driver attempted robbery caught on camera; female suspect sought
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say they need the public's help to identify and locate a woman who was caught on camera trying to rob a taxi driver in Long Beach.
In the early morning hours of Sept. 26, the Yellow Cab taxi driver picked up the female suspect in the area of 7th Street and Termino Avenue and drove her to 14th Street and Newport Avenue.
Long Beach police say before she got out of the cab, the suspect reached through the glass divider, threatened the driver with a box cutter and demanded money. During a struggle, police say, the suspect pulled out a hammer and tried to hit the driver in the face.
The driver accelerated his taxi before colliding with a parked car. The woman got out of the cab and fled before getting any money.
The driver was treated at the scene for a cut he sustained to his hand during the struggle.
The suspect is described as a black female, 20-25 years old, wearing a knit hat and a light-colored hooded sweatshirt.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Long Beach Police Robbery Detective Fermin Gonzalez at (562) 570-7464. People wishing to remain anonymous were encouraged to dial 1-800-222-TIPS.
caught on tape, robbery, long beach, los angeles news
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks