Los Angeles News
Gang member sought for rape at El Monte store
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- El Monte police are trying to track down an 18-year-old sexual predator. They say he is a known gang member who is accused of raping a young woman at her job Saturday night.
Investigators say Joseph Leo Amaya sexually assaulted the college student as she was closing the Peck Mini Mart in the 4100 block of Peck Road.
According to police, Amaya blocked the exit and then dragged the young store clerk to a back room and raped her.
El Monte resident Marcelana Tapia heard the victim's screams after the attack. Tapia's son ran outside to help. She says he recognized the victim having just been inside the convenience store earlier that night.
"If he would have gone 20 minutes after, he probably would have seen when it was happening," said Tapia.
Police say the victim had never seen Amaya before the attack, which was captured by surveillance cameras. Those images, along with Amaya's penchant for tattoos, helped detectives identify him as the suspect.
"We think the subject has an identifying tattoo on his neck. We are absolutely positive he has a tattoo on his right arm and it has the initials 'EMF' written on it," said Sgt. Roger Cobian with the El Monte Police Department.
"EMF" is the common tag of the street gang El Monte Flores.
Investigators say Amaya has a criminal history and many ties to El Monte. They fear someone may be helping him hide. They are asking for the public to turn him in.
"Our detectives are working exhaustively to find this subject. We have not had enough leads to be able to get him into our custody. We are now asking for the public's help," said Cobian.
Police say Amaya is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds. They say he is considered dangerous, so if you see him, don't approach him.
Anyone with information was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
sexual assault, sex crimes, los angeles news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report