Los Angeles News
Patient medical records theft suspect arrested
SAN GABRIEL, Calif. (KABC) -- The suspect wanted in connection with a massive medical records theft at an Alhambra office has been arrested.
Police say Christopher Lee Brown was arrested Wednesday morning at a homeless encampment near the 710 Freeway and Valley Boulevard.
According to investigators, Brown was captured on surveillance video taking two laptop computers from AHMC's billing office earlier this month. The computers contained Social Security numbers and other personal information of 729,000 patients.
Patients affected by this record breach have received treatment at any of the following six AHMC hospitals: San Gabriel Valley Medical Center, Garfield Medical Center, Monterey Park Hospital, Greater El Monte Community Hospital, Whittier Hospital Medical Center and Anaheim Regional Medical Center.
Authorities say the stolen laptops were not in Brown's possession at the time of his arrest. Detectives were interviewing him to attain more information in this ongoing investigation.
Alhambra police said Brown was familiar with the AHMC building because his former girlfriend used to work there.
Officials with the hospital corporation apologized to all affected patients, adding that they have no evidence that any of the records have actually been accessed or used in any manner.
Brown is being held on $20,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Friday.
Patients with questions or concerns, or who wish to ascertain if their information was on the stolen laptops were asked to contact AHMC Healthcare Inc.'s Privacy Department at (855) 977-6678.
los angeles news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial 35 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 50 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 56 min ago
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death 32 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes 5 min ago
- Informant speaks out on jail abuse probe 49 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke