Los Angeles News
Patient medical records theft suspect arrested
SAN GABRIEL, Calif. (KABC) -- The suspect wanted in connection with a massive medical records theft at an Alhambra office has been arrested.
Police say Christopher Lee Brown was arrested Wednesday morning at a homeless encampment near the 710 Freeway and Valley Boulevard.
According to investigators, Brown was captured on surveillance video taking two laptop computers from AHMC's billing office earlier this month. The computers contained Social Security numbers and other personal information of 729,000 patients.
Patients affected by this record breach have received treatment at any of the following six AHMC hospitals: San Gabriel Valley Medical Center, Garfield Medical Center, Monterey Park Hospital, Greater El Monte Community Hospital, Whittier Hospital Medical Center and Anaheim Regional Medical Center.
Authorities say the stolen laptops were not in Brown's possession at the time of his arrest. Detectives were interviewing him to attain more information in this ongoing investigation.
Alhambra police said Brown was familiar with the AHMC building because his former girlfriend used to work there.
Officials with the hospital corporation apologized to all affected patients, adding that they have no evidence that any of the records have actually been accessed or used in any manner.
Brown is being held on $20,000 bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Friday.
Patients with questions or concerns, or who wish to ascertain if their information was on the stolen laptops were asked to contact AHMC Healthcare Inc.'s Privacy Department at (855) 977-6678.
los angeles news
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book