Los Angeles News
Hawaiian Gardens carjack victim dragged by own truck; suspect sought
HAWAIIAN GARDENS, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities have released shocking surveillance video of a carjacking in Hawaiian Gardens. A 67-year-old man was dragged about 25 feet by someone stealing his truck.
It all started when the man left his car for a moment with the keys in the ignition at a battery shop on the 12400 block of Carson Street.
The suspect rode his bike by the car and then circled back around it. When he noticed no one was nearby, he threw his bike in the back and started to get into the truck. The victim realized what was going on and ran to try and stop the man by the driver's side door.
With the victim stuck in the door, the suspect drove forward and then back, dragging the victim behind. Eventually, the victim broke free and was left lying in the center median as the suspect sped away.
"The suspect dragged him, ran over him and left him for dead in the middle of the street. It appears he'll do whatever he can to get away," said Det. Mark Perez with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Investigators found the car abandoned in Southgate the next day, but they still haven't found the suspect.
The incident happened on June 25. Detectives say they're now releasing this video because they've simply exhausted all leads.
The suspect has a shaved head. Detectives believe he is 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and is between 25 to 30 years old.
"We're hoping with the media and the public's help, someone can come forward and we can identify the suspect before he does this again," said Perez.
The victim is out of the hospital and recovering after several weeks in intensive care.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 18 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 14 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)