Los Angeles News
Hawaiian Gardens carjack victim dragged by own truck; suspect sought
HAWAIIAN GARDENS, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities have released shocking surveillance video of a carjacking in Hawaiian Gardens. A 67-year-old man was dragged about 25 feet by someone stealing his truck.
It all started when the man left his car for a moment with the keys in the ignition at a battery shop on the 12400 block of Carson Street.
The suspect rode his bike by the car and then circled back around it. When he noticed no one was nearby, he threw his bike in the back and started to get into the truck. The victim realized what was going on and ran to try and stop the man by the driver's side door.
With the victim stuck in the door, the suspect drove forward and then back, dragging the victim behind. Eventually, the victim broke free and was left lying in the center median as the suspect sped away.
"The suspect dragged him, ran over him and left him for dead in the middle of the street. It appears he'll do whatever he can to get away," said Det. Mark Perez with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Investigators found the car abandoned in Southgate the next day, but they still haven't found the suspect.
The incident happened on June 25. Detectives say they're now releasing this video because they've simply exhausted all leads.
The suspect has a shaved head. Detectives believe he is 5 feet 8 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and is between 25 to 30 years old.
"We're hoping with the media and the public's help, someone can come forward and we can identify the suspect before he does this again," said Perez.
The victim is out of the hospital and recovering after several weeks in intensive care.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter