Los Angeles News
Wanted El Monte rape suspect taken into custody
EL MONTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A known gang member wanted for allegedly raping a college student working in an El Monte convenience store has been taken into custody.
Undercover detectives with the El Monte Police Department arrested 18-year-old Joseph Leo Amaya in West Covina around 8 p.m. Saturday. West Covina police helped with the apprehension.
Amaya was being sought after police say he sexually assaulted the young woman as she was closing the Peck Mini Mart in the 4100 block of Peck Road on Saturday, Oct. 19.
The attack was captured on surveillance video. Detectives say the suspect blocked the exit and then dragged the store clerk to a back room and raped her.
Amaya had been on the run ever since the attack. Investigators believe he had help hiding out. But after receiving numerous tips, authorities tracked him down.
The 18-year-old is being held on $5 million bail. He faces a long list of charges including rape and sexual penetration with a foreign object.
sexual assault, sex crimes, arrest, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)