Los Angeles News
Sheriff's deputy fatally shoots suspect in Bellflower fight
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy in Bellflower early Sunday morning during a fight.
L.A. County sheriff's deputies from the Lakewood Station received a report of a disturbance at a business on the 16400 block of Woodruff Avenue in Bellflower at about 1:30 a.m.
A 57-year-old man confronted arriving deputies at the location. He was incoherent and foaming at the mouth, according to the sheriff's department.
A physical altercation followed, and the suspect punched one deputy in the head and pushed the other deputy into a water fountain, according to the department.
Deputies tried to use a Taser to subdue the man, but it had no effect, the department said.
During the fight, the suspect reached for one deputy's holstered firearm. The other deputy shot the suspect.
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
The deputy who was punched was hospitalized, treated and released. The other deputy was treated for minor injuries at the scene, the department said.
los angeles county sheriff's department, deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 47 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4 34 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries 19 min ago
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 3 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 52 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts