Los Angeles News
Sheriff's deputy fatally shoots suspect in Bellflower fight
BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A man was fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy in Bellflower early Sunday morning during a fight.
L.A. County sheriff's deputies from the Lakewood Station received a report of a disturbance at a business on the 16400 block of Woodruff Avenue in Bellflower at about 1:30 a.m.
A 57-year-old man confronted arriving deputies at the location. He was incoherent and foaming at the mouth, according to the sheriff's department.
A physical altercation followed, and the suspect punched one deputy in the head and pushed the other deputy into a water fountain, according to the department.
Deputies tried to use a Taser to subdue the man, but it had no effect, the department said.
During the fight, the suspect reached for one deputy's holstered firearm. The other deputy shot the suspect.
The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.
The deputy who was punched was hospitalized, treated and released. The other deputy was treated for minor injuries at the scene, the department said.
los angeles county sheriff's department, deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles news
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage 22 min ago
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
7 min ago