Los Angeles News
Human remains found at water treatment facility in Bassett
BASSETT, Calif. (KABC) -- Human remains were found in a water treatment facility in Bassett in Los Angeles County Monday. Investigators believe the remains are related to a similar discovery over the weekend in Carson.
Authorities responded to the 1900 block of Workman Mill Road after the discovery was made at the plant near the City of Industry. Workers checking out a blockage reported over the weekend made the grisly discovery: a woman's torso found floating in a settling tank.
The L.A County Coroner's Office will determine the person's identity. While the cause of death is unknown, because of the suspicious circumstances surrounding the case, investigators are treating the case as a homicide.
On Saturday, human remains were found in Carson at a facility in the 24500 block of South Figueroa Street. The pelvis and legs were discovered in a bin that holds debris separated from sewage water.
Their theory right now is that the woman's body was washed into the facilities through a large sewage line. Investigators suspect the woman's body was dismembered by heavy machinery at the facilities, but how she got into the system remains a mystery. The woman's left arm is still missing.
Detectives believe the woman's body entered the sewer system in the area north of the 60 Freeway and between the 605 Freeway and La Verne.
Because this is a sewage plant, officials say the drinking water supply is unaffected.
Anyone with information about a missing female is urged to call the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500, or Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body part found, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 42 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap 46 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)